By State Statute, Applicants must be 18 years of age at time of Application to qualify for a marriage license. Applicants between 16-18 years of age can be married with parental consent. A parental Consent form must be filed in the County Clerk's office. Witnesses signing the Marriage License must be 18 years of age.
- CERTIFIED COPIES of Birth Certificates are required for applicants under 30 years old. We will not issue a Marriage License without the Certified Copy. The birth certificate should have a raised seal on it from the Register of Deeds or Vital Records Division of the State of Wisconsin. Hospital certificates are not acceptable.
- Must be a resident of Grant County for 30 days, with a Drivers License to prove residency, or a bill stating new address. If not a resident of the county, the applicant must apply in the county of residency for the past 30 days. If not a Wisconsin resident, the applicant must apply in the county they will be married in. The license is good for 30 days after date issued.
- If previously married, we will need divorce papers, death certificate or court annulment from most recent marriage.
- A current Social Security Card is required by both Applicants.
- Need the Name, Address, and Phone number of person who is officiating, and the date the marriage will take place.
- Need the City, Village or Township where the marriage will take place.
- $50 Fee for the License, cash or check, with the check made payable to Grant County Clerk.
- There is a 5-day waiting period required between application and issuance of license. The waiting period can be waived for a fee of $5.00, but only if planning to be married within the waiting period.
- Only one person needs to come to apply, bringing all information. After the 5 day waiting period, BOTH Applicants must return to sign the Marriage License, can come separately to sign, and the Marriage License will go with the last person signing. The Marriage license must be signed in the presence of the County Clerk, or a Deputy.
- Applications may be made at the Grant County Clerk's Office, Courthouse, Lancaster, Wisconsin, between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, excluding legal holidays.
- No Blood Testing is required.